The Controller-General of Prisons, Ahmed Jafa’aru, has ordered the redeployment of the officer in-charge of Kuje Medium Prisons, Musa Tanko, over last Friday’s escape of two inmates.
According to the Punch, Tanko has been also ordered to report before a probe panel at the Federal Capital Territory Command.
The escapees, murder suspects Maxwell Ajukwu and Solomon Amodu, broke out of the prison by scaling the fence, and they are still at large.
Quoting unnamed sources, the Punch stated that Tanko was redeployed to ensure a thorough probe of the inmates’ escape without interference.
“For now, only the officer in charge had been transferred out of the prisons, but we don’t know if other senior officers like the yard master and the officer on duty would also be redeployed out of Kuje prisons. For now, everyone is waiting with bated breath to see the next line of action by the authorities,” a source told the Punch.
But the Service Public Relations Officer, Francis Enobore, said inmates’ escape is usually viewed as a serious offence and should attract serious sanctions.
He stated that the investigation into the incident had not been concluded, stressing that the report of the probe would be sent to the Minister of Interior, Lt. Gen. Abdurahaman Dambazzau (retd.), and appropriate sanction would be meted out to errant personnel.
“The management of the prisons service is taking the matter seriously and any indicted officer will be severely punished, so transfer cannot be the punishment for escape of inmates,” he stated.
Dambazzau had on Monday said the inmates escaped due to security lapses which he had noticed and pointed out to the prison authorities, but nothing was done about it.